Tuesday, October 11, 2016

My Father is Always at Work (John 5:16-30)

This is not a commentary or any sort of scholarly work. It is just thoughts written down as I read through the scriptures. I pray that God will move through His word. I pray that He will bless me that I may be a blessing to others = my family, neighbors, church, friends, etc. In this passage the Jewish leaders want to kill Jesus = sounds familiar. They are upset that he is "working" on the Sabbath by healing people. He had just helped a lame man walk again. Jesus says to them,"My Father is always at work to this very day, and I too am working." This is an interesting verse - I need to look into this one more. Scripture says they were upset with him not only because he was healing on the Sabbath but because he was making himself equal with God.  But Jesus basically says I can do nothing on my own. I am limited to the will of my Father. There will be even greater things shown in the future. My Father raises the dead and I will give life as well to whom I am pleased to give it.* The Father does not judge but has given this responsibility to me. All who honor the Father should therefore honor me. Whoever does not honor me does not honor the Father who sent me. If God the Father can do works of mercy on the Sabbath - So can I. Be careful of your judgment of me, for I have been appointed judge. Whoever believes in me and the one who sent me has already crossed over from death to life. Eternal life has been given through your faith. You will not be condemned. All who listen will live. A day is coming when all who are in their graves will come and rise to judgment. Jesus will be that judge. He will be a fair judge who works to please his Father. So, he's basically saying to the Jewish leaders - you just don't get it. You refuse to hear. You try to paint me as a sinner, but you are wrong. You have no clue as to what is about to happen. Pay attention. So much is at stake, but your ignorance has blinded you. This is who I am. I am the Son of God. He has sent me. I do the work of God. I will give life to whomever I want to. It is eternal life. It is for now as well as forever. I will judge the world. Will you continue to judge me and what I do? Or will you listen and see what is to come? This is reality. This is our world that we live in. This is what is yet to come. Will you be ready? Will you listen to what Jesus has to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment